Day 20

22 September, 2003

A calm sea, some north wind, heavy clouds but good visibility. Another silly-ass breakfast (the third time) a sausage. That is it, what looks like a long hot dog (sans roll) on a plate) to condiment anyway you wish. Oh well, add a couple of pieces of brown bread and jam, some coffee and I am ready for the world!

All settles back down to sea life. We are cooking along, weather and sea much the same but a little rain from time to time. Considering how south we are, it is not unbearably hot. Add the wind, and after the sun sets over Viet Nam (now in my west facing portholes), it almost feels chilly. A day spent nursing my back, this is the longest episode it has ever acted up. Reading more shipboard Theroux (Hotel Honolulu), and the Atlantic Monthly. I feel a definite warming from the crew and non-German officers, I think in brotherhood for the brass’s wrath yesterday. Brunei is now close off of our starboard side. I feel for the Filipinos, who really are very nice. They are within cellular phone reach so they can talk to their families whom they won’t see for many months.

To those who own and work on ships, I get the distinct impression, the ship, ocean and their travels are only means to money. For this tourist, although after three weeks I can be a little nonchalant, this is twenty-four, seven incredible.